Thursday, September 28, 2006

Amazing feets

I just witnessed one of the greatest escapes from possible harm. Button and I were finishing a walk when we happened upon a squirrel fight, not just a fight but one of the knockdown dragout variety.

Even Button's instinct to charge smaller creatures was bypassed as this spectacle had her at a loss. At some point either one of the squirrels was getting it handed to him/her or finally saw us only feet away and decided it was time to go.

To my horror one of our furry friends headed for Sixth Avenue and what hoped was freedom. With heavy traffic I had a pretty good idea of how this was going to go down and I really didn't want to watch...but I couldn't help myself for the most part.

Mr. Squirrel made it about two feet into the road and realized the error of its ways. On a dime it jump straight vertical about 3 1/2 feet to avoid the first car, landed and then ran under the belly of another and that is when things looked grim. The squirrel and approaching SUV were on a collision course and I couldn't watch.

Closing my eyes for a moment I heard impact, a clear thud and then something in me had to look, I'm not proud of that but nonetheless I opened my eyes and what did I see... Mr. Squirrel must have dodged the SUV, instead of getting hit head-on which looked invitable, he was agile enough to get out of the way. The thud I assume was an ill-advised jump which landed it into the side of the SUV.

By the time I saw the action again he had gathered himself and dodged another car behind the SUV before making it safely on the otherside of the road. As I stood there amazed, stunned and damn impresssed, a most fitting end to the scene... from the safety of his tree Mr. Squirrel proceeded to tell the other squirrel, button, myself, traffic and whoever else would listen what he thought of them conspiring against him.

1 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Amboy Observer said...

Amazing. Cool story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home