Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Not a good day to be a hawk

So yesterday there was a loud expolsion and the power went out and then quickly back on. Soon after came sirens and I could hear what sounded like someone talking over a bullhorn. I could ignore the urge to investigate only so long, out in the rain I went to have a gander.

Across the street a newer model car was fully engulfed in flames and the transformer located above it was giving off some serious juice. I convinced a neighbor that it wasn't a good idea for her to try to leave with her daughter via their car, since the engulfed car was less than fifteen from our parking lot exit and was apparently in contact with a downed wire. They finally turned off the line and we all were without power for some six hours.

Afterwards I ventured out to see what was going on and a poice officer explained that a couple blocks up a hawk hit the line and was electrocuted on the spot which caused a surge and the weakest point on that line happened to be right where that car was parked...ouch. One hawk, two burnt cars, and six hours without power things were back to normal.

2 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger Lief said...

And here I thought you were talking about football.

Poor little fella.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger William A. Smith said...

The other title I was kicking around was "Blackened Hawk Down" ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home