Thursday, December 15, 2005

Brokeback Mountain. "Big Hollywood" is at again...

Disclaimer: I have not seen this movie.

However I am excited to see it, it was just the other day that I was thinking that Hollywood has been pretty skimpy on its Gay Westerns. Both on an aspiring screenwriter and human level I find it refreshing that this type of movie can be made and is comng out in front of the nation, if you will. I know it won't be long until the backlash hits and those who find the material offensive scream how subversive its message and Hollywood is.

My take, from what I've seen of the trailer and read of the reviews is that this is a love story no more no less. It is the premise that the mainstream audience might find hard to accept, but to me it is simply about two men that are conflicted because they find love and a kindred spirit in eachother.

I find the best scripts/movies have the biggest obstacles to overcome, they don't need to come in the form of man made or mythical evil creatures...sometimes it is scarier when that obstacle is from within and you realize instead of defeating it, you may have to come to accept it as a part of you. I personally don't see this film as an endorsement of the "gay" lifestyle as I am betting it will be labeled....even if it was/is I say cheers to the people who have the fortitude to make this movie.

Brokeback Mountain opens in limited release around the country friday december 16th...it will be playing in Seattle and I hope to see it and give my own review of it.

2 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am hoping that, unlike so much that Hollywood has produced lately, that this movie actually has a plot and some character development. Not sure if I´d even recognize it anymore.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger William A. Smith said...

From what I've read of the critics, granted I generally take them with a grain of salt, I'm optimistic that Brokeback Mountain will deliver both plot & characters. Of the few negative reviwes I've read the majority have tended to dwell on the fact that the two protagonists are gay cowboys.

Very true that Hollywood has ventured off-course IMO lately...The studios want that big payoff so they seem to be going after the younger audience with less and less substance.

There are actuallly a few movies I'm excited to see : Brokeback, Syriana, Capote, the Murrow bio....have to think what else. There are good movies out there, you just have to search a little harder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home