Sunday, October 23, 2005

The definition of Cougin' it

The term "cougin' it", meaning to choke at the most inopportune time, is a phrase that has dogged the Cougar Nation for as long as I can remember. Briefly during a run of successful seasons, an attempt was made by then head coach Mike Price to change the meaning to refer to the Cougars doing something right, yeah like that was going to work.

Any Coug fan that hears the term cringes, yet we have no other term to grasp onto when our beloved Cougs fall apart. I write this now because, as a Coug fan, I believe we are seeing new heights (or lows) of "Cougin' it" taking place...if it didn't break my heart so it would be funny. Four weeks in a row the Cougs cough up a furball as their coaching staff are frozen like a deer in headlights... Someone please stop the bleeding, the players deserve better!!! Go Cougs !

5 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger Lief said...

Don't feel bad Will,
Even after 13 years in the pros it still rears it's ugly head now and again. Take Drew Bledsoe this weekend for example, he Coug'ed it by thowing an interception with like 5 seconds left and the Seahawks were able to convert the turnover into last second field goal and win.

This may just open up a big ol can of whoop-lief because the fervor with which you all follow the Cougs is incomparable, and I would not be able to compete.

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe Lief's comment "incomparable"demonstrates the differences between the Cougs and the dawgs. And that won't change, no matter what the team does. I think Cougin' it is what we do on a daily basis, what we carry with us every day, and that it's not negative, but born of the same spirit that blows through those Palouse Hills, ever since the great basalt flow..... It just sticks with you. Or maybe it's the gums they use in Ferdinand's Ice Cream? Whatever it is, we got it in spades!!!!! Meeeeeeoooooowwwwwww!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger William A. Smith said...

Lief I think the Bledsoe interception pushed me over the edge...lol. Don't get me wrong I was overjoyed that the Seahawks won, but a little bit of the Coug in me died when he threw that pick. He could have atleast have the courtesy of throwing it to Trufant and then I wouldn't have been so conflicted.

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are you dissing on Spokane so bad on the Decemberists' website? That seems pretty sad.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger William A. Smith said...

annonymous,

If you would like to know then ask on the Decemberists board or shoot me a PM...thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home